Kevin Hart Speaks About Anti-LGBTQ Oscars Fallout in Upcoming Netflix Docuseries


As many may already know, Kevin Hart stepped down as the host of the 2019 Oscars earlier this year after he received backlash from his homophobic tweets that resurfaced from 2011. On Tuesday, he took to his Instagram page and announced that he has a docuseries that is set to premiere on Netflix, December 27.


In this upcoming six-part docuseries titled Don’t Fuck This Up, Hart lets us in on the aftermath of the Academy Awards controversy. If you are unaware of the situation, in 2011, Hart made some pretty homophobic remarks in regards to how he would feel if his son were gay. “Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay,’.


This wasn't the first time Hart made anti-lgbtq remarks. 

 In his 2010 special, Seriously Funny, Hart stated, "One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay, that’s a fear. Keep in mind, I’m not homophobic. Be happy. Do what you want to do. But for me, as a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will.”


When Hart was announced as the host of the Oscars,  the backlash over his abusive anti-LGBTQ tweets caused him to step down. In 2015, Hart spoke to Rolling Stone about his past comments, where he apologized, explaining how ignorant he was about his old jokes.


"The funny thing within that joke is it’s me getting mad at my son because of my own insecurities — I panicked," he said in 2015. "It has nothing to do with him, it’s about me. That’s the difference between bringing a joke across that’s well thought-out and saying something just to ruffle feathers. I wouldn’t tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren’t as sensitive as they are now. I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren’t necessarily big deals because we can."

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • YouTube

© 2019 Gaye Magazine All Rights Reserved.