Morphe & YouTube Cut Ties With James Charles After Sexual Misconduct Allegations Are Confirmed
It was just two months ago that internet personality and beauty YouTuber James Charles found himself at the center of yet another sexual misconduct allegation surrounding a 16 year old boy. Though it seems this time around there will be a price to pay.
According to an Insider report, YouTube has temporarily demonetized Charles from it’s Partner Program, restricting his ability to make money from the platform. In addition, on April 16 Beauty brand Morphe shared via Twitter that they will be cutting ties with the makeup artist, severing their nearly three year collaboration.
Morphe writes, “In light of the recent allegations against James Charles, Morphe and James have agreed to end our business relationship and wind down sales of the Morphe x James Charles product offering. It is and has always been Morphe’s goal to create a positive, safe, and empowering space where all beauty lovers can freely share their artistry and passion for cosmetics, and Morphe is committed to furthering that goal.”
It was previously rumored that the 21 year old YouTuber was sending explicit messages and photos to a minor through Snapchat sometime in February of 2021. Similar allegations were also made against Charles in the summer of 2020 only this time the victim, Ethan Andrew, shared that he was 14 at the time of the incident.
When the allegations from the incident in February began to spread, videos surfaced all over social media of the 16 year old boy coming forward and showing screenshots of the inappropriate conversations that took place with Charles.
Soon after, Charles spoke out via Twitter writing that the allegations are “completely false” and that he was told by the boy that “he was 18”. However, many fans weren’t buying Charles' claims and felt that he was to blame for the situation.
In more recent news, on April 1 Charle’s uploaded a video to YouTube titled, “Holding Myself Accountable” where he appears to take responsibility for both of the situations that occurred surrounding the undergae boys. In the video he states,
“I realized that the receipts and the screenshots and the specific details of the interaction really don’t matter because I fu*ked up and I need to take accountability for my actions and most importantly apologize to the people that were affected by them.”
It appears that both YouTube and Morphe’s decision to end their business relationship with Charle’s are in response to the recent video in where he owns up to the allegations brought against him.
In YouTubes Child Safety Community Guidelines it states, “YouTube doesn’t allow content that endangers the emotional and physical well-being of minors. A minor is defined as someone under the legal age of majority -- usually anyone younger than 18 years old in most countries/regions.”
While Charle’s dismissal from YouTube’s Partner Program appears to be temporary, it hasn’t been said when they plan on lifting their restriction.
Since YouTube and Morphe’s announcement, Charles nor his reps have responded to both companies' decision.
What do we think, #Gaye’s? Do we think James Charles had this coming for him or has all this been taken way too far?